Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Too Much Seen on Halloween

In honor of this past Halloween, I would like to bring up a simple question...are Halloween costumes too slutty?

Yes. Halloween has been a staple in the world of drinking and partying for many years, but the costumes seem to always be the thing to take the bowl of Reese's. Unfortunately, these costumes are starting to affect how our children are dressing. I remember being a kid and going trick or treating with some robe-like costume and having it just drape all over me, covering my whole body. Now, some kids have costumes that are too short, require things like fishnets (umm..excuse me?), or show just a little too much skin.
I understand that if a 20+ year old woman wants to wear this sort of thing, hell I wish I could, but our children definitely need to learn that this is not acceptable behavior for kids who still rely on their parents to tuck them into bed at night. I've walked through the Halloween isles this year, still shaking my head. Most costumes are luck to even cover the knee! If I was a parent, I would be terrified to even bring my child to buy a costume.

Maybe this is the problem though. Some parents are just willing to let their kids dress however they wish and be a friend, rather than stand up to their child and be their parent. Kids need to hold on to their youth as long as possible, and with these costumes it is going to be super hard to do so. Since I am only in college, I obviously do not know how to lecture a parent or even be one myself, but I do know that trying to hold on to one's youth is important to a happy childhood. These kids need to focus on eating as much candy as possible on Halloween and also not worry about how far they can sit down without their costume going up just a little too high. I mean, would you let your kids dress like that?

-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment