Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Growing Up Too Fast

In the past we’ve all seen funny quotes or idea on Facebook that we can like. I’m assuming everyone has seen the one about how Disney has given us bad influences as children? “Jasmine was in a forbidden relationship with Aladdin. Snow White lived alone with seven men. Pinnochio was a liar. Robin Hood was a thief. Tarzan walked around without clothes on. A stranger kissed Sleeping Beauty and she married him. Cinderella lied and snuck out at night to go to a party. These are the stories our parents raised us with and then they complain our generation is messed up?” It’s true; our generation is a little messed up. And these really are bad influences… I think this might be why girls get so excited when they meet a boy. A few years ago I went to visit my cousins in South Carolina. My cousin Gia had her fifth birthday on that trip. She had a pool party (which actually was a Disney Princess party, complete with pink castle cake and all) with al her little classmates invited (boys and girls). Every gift she opened she screamed how she loved it. When a boy gave her a gift, she screamed, “Oh thank you, I love it! I’m going to marry you!” Oh the simplicity of a five year old’s brain… Her mother did explain that she couldn’t get married at age five to all of her classmates. My cousin is the cutest little girl, and she’s absolutely beautiful. However, she is spoiled and a little too grown up for her age. Also on my visit to South Carolina, of course we went to the beach. On our way out the door, I went to get her and she was dressed in long jeans! I asked her why, and she said she didn’t want boys to see her leg hair. I was astounded! Leg hair? At age five, she’s worrying about leg hair…? I found out where her inspiration came from when her mother admitted to have shaved Gia’s legs before. She sees mom getting rid of her leg hair so why shouldn’t she? I tried explaining to her that girls don’t really have to shave their legs until at LEAST age twelve but Gia wasn’t having it. She then rubbed my legs up and down and said, “see, you don’t have any leg hair!” Gia then had her legs shaved so we could finally go to the beach. I can see where she would want to be like all the other girls. And I feel bad! Five year olds shouldn’t be shaving! That idea is ridiculous. But she’s only five, why wouldn’t she think, well if everyone else does it why shouldn’t’ I? I can’t even think of a solution. She already has this image in her mind there’s no going back unless every woman she met stopped shaving her legs. I can almost guarantee her mother won’t and now she’s already almost nine. Little girls grow up too fast.

Jackie Barthuly

No comments:

Post a Comment