Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Too Much Sex?

Lately, I've noticed that a lot of students are making dirty jokes and comments of that matter towards each other. As a 19 yr-old college student, it makes sense, but what really bothers me is that kids younger than high school age are able to understand these adult jokes and even make some of their own. It's, honestly, disgusting! Why are kids able to understand all of this trash talk?


Maybe this is because of all of the rotten, x-rated television families watch night after night. I remember as a child being sent out of the room to watch something else if my parents deemed it "too x-rated" and the reasoning being that they are "mom and dad shows". For a while, it bothered me; why should I have to leave? Its not like I haven't seen that kind of stuff before! Now it hit me, they were just trying to help me hold on to my youth as much as possible, since it would be destroyed anyways in time.

Maybe it's also because of the exploitation of sex-scandals and other x-rated things about celebrities from the media. Most kids absorb this kind of gossip like a sponge to water anyways. Who doesn't want to be just like Paris Hilton and make multiple sex tapes, then show them to everybody in the free world?



Don't forget about those teens having sex and children at 15. Reality shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant are great to show kids the downsides of having children at such young ages, but at the same time, I think teens are starting to think that in order to get attention, a child needs to be born. That in itself is outrageous. Becoming a parent under the age of 20 eliminates about half of the possibilites in one's life, such as going to college (at least as a traditional student), hanging out and partying, and avoiding most adult responsibilities. I've had friends even tell me that they would like to become pregnant in order to save a relationship. What is this world coming to?



Honestly, I don't understand most of society's point with centering everything on sex, but it just seems like too much.

-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment